Welcome to Iron Mountain Horse CampIron Mountain Horse Camp is OPEN. Please stay safe and well during this time.
Come explore the wonders of the Virginia mountains! You can ride by the cliffs or enjoy lunch along the river.
We offer campsites with electrical and water hook-ups, a bathhouse, a 78 stall barn, a tack shop, and a dump station. The campground has a stream with running water, shade trees, and a barn surrounded by beautiful mountains.
Mountain Horse Camping & Trails
Iron Mountain Horse Camp is located in the beautiful Jefferson National Forest part of the Mount Rogers Rec. Area. You can ride right out the gate onto the trails that will take you from an hour ride to days of riding, whatever you desire. There is access to trails from three directions from camp.
You can ride the Virginia Highland Horse Trail, Divide Trail, Dry Gap Run, Iron Mountain Horse Trail, Horse Heaven Loop, Yellow Branch, East Fork Trail and many, many more.
Or ride through Raven Cliff, Cripple Creek, Cole’s Branch, Devils Den, also located near The New River Trail, and hundreds of miles of beautiful scenic trails.
We highly recommend shoes on your horses or boots. There is a very good farrier 3 miles from camp if you happen to loose a shoe or need shoes. Brother Moore, the farrier, has 40+ years of experience.
We’re Here to Help!
- Campsites all have electrical and water hookups
- Bathhouse offers 6 shower stalls, 6 bathrooms, and 4 sinks total
- Handicap equipped – Heated
- Smoking is not allowed in any campground building including barns, bathhouse, hay barn, and tack office
- A dump station is available
- Most campsites are nestled along the creek near the barn
- Pet friendly, dogs are welcome, but must be on a leash in the campground. Dogs must have rabies shots up to date and proof must be provided. No aggressive dogs.
- Children 10 and under in age must be attended by an adult in the barns. Children 16 and under are not allowed to drive ATVs, golf carts, or any motorized vehicles on premises.
- Proof of Coggins must be provided for equines
- No stallions allowed on premises
Digital Map of the Camp
Jefferson National Forest
We’re located in part of the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area, which manages approximately 200,000 acres of the Jefferson National Forest land near Mount Rogers. The area features, many great trails, large rock formations, creeks, rivers, a mixture of mountain balds and spruce-fir forests, and more.
New River Trail
The New River Trail is a 57-mile linear park that follows an abandoned railroad right-of-way. The park parallels the scenic and historic New River for 39 miles and passes through four counties and the city of Galax. The trail’s gentle slope makes it great for visitors of all ages to hike, bike and ride horseback.
The Latest from Our Facebook Page
Make Your Reservation
Reserve campsites or stalls and pay for them online. Campsites all have electrical and water hookups, proof of Coggins test results is required, stall cleaning & stripping services are available.
Stay Up-To-Date On Our Upcoming Events
We Hope To See You Soon!
Thank you for visiting!
If you have any questions about the camp, the farm house, or the area, feel free to reach out us 276-744-2168, 276-237-2600, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.